The Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world. Providing the definitive standard in music education through its curriculum, assessment, performance, and teacher education, the programs of The Royal Conservatory have had a substantial impact on the lives of millions globally.
In 2010, the RCM began an ambitious program, called MyDigitalRCM, aiming to serve as a community hub for knowledge, learning, and collaboration in music, performance, and arts education.
Myplanet was engaged by The Royal Conservatory to help develop and refine a complex, multi-year technical roadmap. A key piece of this blueprint involved the selection of Drupal as the platform on which to build out the many facets of their new strategy.
After a rigorous public procurement process, Myplanet was selected to lead the implementation of this technical roadmap.
"Our digital vision was very clear and yet we knew that the technology platform to support that vision was complex. Myplanet designed a platform comprised of leading technologies which was cost-effective, robust and yet very flexible." -- Gerry Dimnik, CIO, The Royal Conservatory
Since 2010, our work with The Royal Conservatory has included:
- The design and implementation of an updated online visual identity system. Our user experience team worked with The RCM’s branding agency to integrate many of the new online design patterns back into The Conservatory’s branding guide.
- Migration of 4 different proprietary content management systems across 7 business units into Drupal, vastly improving ease of administration across the organization.
- Implementation of a new system for finding performances, including advanced front-end interaction effects (http://performance.rcmusic.ca)
- Execution of the “Thank A Teacher” alumni campaign.
- Integration with marketing automation software.
- Design and implementation of an online bookstore in Magento for Frederick Harris Music, the RCM’s sheet music publishing arm.
- Complete redesign of the RCM’s examination platform, migrating data from an aging system written in RPG with an IBM Websphere front-end to a modern Drupal-based solution backed by a MySQL database (see The Achievement Program case study for more information).
Myplanet continues to work with The Royal Conservatory to develop their ambitious vision across North America.